I joined the Department of Psychological Science at Ball State University in 1987 and am currently Professor of Psychological Science and Director of Undergraduate Studies. I am Past President of the Society for the Teaching of Psychology and past Secretary-Treasurer of the Midwestern Psychological Association. I am President of the Midwestern Psychological Association.
My research focuses on gender and how our beliefs about gender intersect with our beliefs about other groups. For example, much of my work has focused on attitudes toward and beliefs about gay men and lesbians and how these are linked to our attitudes and beliefs about men and women more generally. I am also interested in how our gender associated beliefs influence our beliefs about older adults. Another area of interest is measuring attitudes toward homosexuality.
Another area of interest is women's achievement and the factors and promote and hinder women's success, particularly in academics. I am particularly interested in what has been labeled the "chilly climate" for women and how that influences women's academic achievement.
A recent area of interest is on teaching stereotyping and prejudice and diversity and the difficulties faculty face in addressing those topics with their students.
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Gender Psychology
- Person Perception
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Sexuality, Sexual Orientation
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Whitley, B. E., Jr., & Kite, M. E. (2013). Principles of research in behavioral science (3rd ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Whitley, B. E., & Kite, M. E. (2010). The psychology of prejudice and discrimination (2nd ed.). Belmont, CA: Thomson/Wadsworth.
- Balogh, D. W., Kite, M. E., Pickel, K. L., Canel, D., & Schroeder, J. (2003). The effects of delayed report and motive for reporting on perceptions of sexual harassment. Sex Roles, 48, 337-348.
- Hyde, J. S., Hall, C. C. I., Fouad, N. A., Keita, G. P., Kite, M. E., Russo, N. F., & Brehm, S. S. (2002). Women in academe: The glass completely full? Comment in American Psychologist, 57, 1133-1134.
- Kite, M. E. (2011). (Some) things are different now: An optimistic look at sexual prejudice. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 35, 517-522.
- Kite, M. E. (1996). Age, gender, and occupational label: A test of social role theory. Psychology of Women Quarterly, 20, 361-374.
- Kite, M. E., Russo, N. F., Brehm, S. S., Fouad, N. A., Hall, C. I., Hyde, J. S., & Keita, G. P. (2001). Women psychologists in academe: Mixed progress, unwarranted complacency. American Psychologist, 56, 1080-1098.
- Kite, M. E., Stockdale, G. D., Whitley, B. E., Jr., & Johnson, B. T. (2005). Attitudes toward younger and older adults: An updated meta-analytic review. Journal of Social Issues, 61, 241-266.
- Kite, M. E., & Whitley, B. E., Jr. (1996). Sex differences in attitudes toward homosexual persons, behaviors, and civil rights: A meta-analysis. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 22, 336-353.
- LaMar, L., & Kite, M. E. (1998). Sex differences in attitudes toward gay men and lesbians: A multidimensional perspective. The Journal of Sex Research, 35, 189-196.
- Bowman, S., Kite, M. E., Branscombe, N. R., & Williams, S. (1999). Developmental relationships of Black Americans in the academy. In A. Murrell, R. Ely, & F. Crosby (Eds.), Mentoring dilemmas: Developmental relationships in multicultural corporations (pp. 21-46). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Kite, M. E. (2001). Gender stereotypes. In J. Worrell (Ed.), Encyclopedia of gender (pp. 561-570). San Diego: Academic Press.
- Kite, M. E. (2001). Changing times, changing gender roles: Who do we want women and men to be? In R. Unger (Ed.), Handbook of the psychology of women and gender (pp. 215-227). New York: Wiley.
- Kite, M. E., & Balogh, D. W. (1997). Warming trends: Improving the chilly campus climate. In N. Benokraitis (Ed.), Subtle sexism: Current practices and prospects for change (pp. 264-278). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Kite, M. E., Deaux, K., & Haines, E. (2008). Gender stereotypes. In F. Denmark & M. Paludi (Eds.), Handbook on the psychology of women (2nd ed. pp. 205-236). Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- Kite, M. E., & Wagner, L. S. (2002). Attitudes toward older and younger adults. In T. Nelson (Ed.), Ageism: Stereotyping and prejudice against older persons (pp. 129-161). Boston, MA: MIT Press.
- Kite, M. E., & Whitley, B. E., Jr. (1998). Do heterosexual women and men differ in their attitudes toward homosexuality? A conceptual and methodological analysis. In G. M. Herek (Ed.), Psychological perspectives on lesbians and gay issues: Vol 4. Stigma and sexual orientation: Understanding prejudice against lesbians, gay men, and bisexuals (pp. 39-61). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Littleford, L. N., & Kite, M. E. (2011). Sexual minorities in diverse cultures. In K. Keith (Ed.). Cross cultural psychology: Contemporary themes and perspectives (pp. 235-256). Oxford England: Blackwell.
- Career Planning in Psychology
- Psychology of Diversity
- Psychology of Stereotyping and Prejudice
- Research Methods
- Social Psychology
Department of Psychological Science
Ball State University
Muncie, Indiana 47306
- Phone: (765) 285-8197
- Fax: (765) 285-1702